Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Let yo'self be free, give all your love to me.



Here's a very slick number from Bill Johnson on the Jocida label. Bill Johnson comes from the duo, Sam and BIll. This is one of his few solo sides. From what I can tell there are only two other releases on Jocida. Whatever the story is the song is killer.

It's the kind of song you except to hear in a smoke filled dive bar just before a fight, or a dance, or something dramatic is about to happen. Bill's smooth vocals are pretty reserved until he belts out a soulful scream at the end of the song. I love the piano in this song, it carries the tune along quit nicely.

Hope ya dig it. Let me know if you have more info about this record.

2 comments:

  1. http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/3838/3208.html?1050911035

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. That is insightful. I'd like to get my hands on Bill's other release on Jocida, one of the sides song-writing credit apparently goes to Lou Courtney.

    ReplyDelete